IDENTIFY YOUR UNDERTONE AND MATCH YOUR MAKEUP
We are always wondering how to choose our perfect shade. Our favorite makeup gurus are still slaying that color we wanted to try. But, will that shade look good on us? It is unknowingly vital to identify your undertone to know which shade looks good on you.
But what is an undertone? We may know full well what our skin tone is. Skin tones vary from very deep to very fair in color, while undertones pertain to the shade that is within that color. Your skin tone may change, but your undertone will remain the same. It is essential to know your undertone to choose shades that are complementing your skin tone. There are three types of undertones: warm, cool, and neutral.
So, how can I identify which undertone I am?
- CHECK YOUR VEINS.
Oh, wait, what? Well, basically, you need to check the color of your veins to assess your undertone. It is best if you check the veins from your neck to your face for accuracy.
WARM: If your veins look green or olive, then you have a warm undertone.
COOL: If you have blue or purplish veins, then you must have a cool undertone.
NEUTRAL: A mixture of both, or your veins may appear colorless.
- TRY IT WITH JEWELRIES.
This test may be subjective, but if you tend to wear your pieces of jewelry gold, you must have a warm undertone. Gold looks flattering to you if you are on the warmer side of the spectrum. Silver, on the other hand, looks good on cooler undertones. If you appear to not discriminate on both, then you must have a neutral undertone.
- YOUR SKIN’S REACTION TO THE SUN.
This is also a good way to identify your undertone. When under the sun and you burn easily, then you have a cool undertone. If you tan fast, then you have a warm undertone. If you burn and tan at the same time, then you must be neutral.
So, now that you already identified and established your undertone, what does this mean then?
Here are some tips for choosing your color palette to flatter your undertone:
WARM: Yellow, gold, peach, and orange hues will compliment your skin tone.
KJM TOP PICKS:
- CHEEK. LIP. in Bloodshot has an orange undertone. It may appear red, but this shade flatters your warm skin tone perfectly.
- FACE. BLUSH. in Crazy Tangie and Sorbet. Crazy Tangie is your perfect peach shade, while Sorbet may appear pinkish, but it has a warm and peachy undertone that complements your warmer side.
COOL: You look best with pink, purple, and red.
KJM TOP PICKS:
- CHEEK. LIP. in Dolled and Pink Puff are your pretty pinks. Tango is an orange shade with a pink undertone. Bittersweet Magenta also has a purple hue that suits the cool undertone. You can again try some bold purples, such as Bewitched!, Vibe, and Fused.
- LIP. PAINT. in Purple Mist. Though we may suggest Red Queen or Cherí Haze, we must say that if you have a cool undertone, then Purple Mist is divine for you. This shade may be overwhelming, but this color will settle well on your cool complexion.
- FACE. BLUSH. in Rock Candy has a reddish flare. This nude shade may also look good on warm complexion, but it pops well on cool skin tones.
NEUTRAL: Neutral colors are perfect, also both warm and cool color palettes.
KJM TOP PICKS:
- FACE. BLUSH. – All shades in our FACE. BLUSH. Collection is of the neutral and nude color palette - these shades are best to complement neutral undertones.
- LIP. PAINT. in Cookie Star. You will definitely love this nude cookie shade. As this shade is a neutral palette, this also looks good on both warm and cool undertones.